- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Princeton University, 1981
- Ph.D. Dissertation: "The Separation of Tritium from the Liquid
Lithium Breeder-Blanket of a Fusion Reactor: The Use of Yttrium Metal as a Getter," E. F. Johnson Advisor.
- B.E. Chemical Engineering, Cooper Union, 1976
CERTIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Professional Engineer, State of Michigan License 34001.
- President, REB Research & Consulting
Specializes in hydrogen separations and membrane reactors. Manufactures Mr. Hydrogen?, hydrogen purifiers.
- Associate Professor Michigan State University,
1981 - Present, (currently adjoint)
Supervised research in separations and thermodynamics (particularly involving hydrogen).
Collaborated on several projects in neuronal growth. Taught thermodynamics, (undergraduate, graduate,
and advanced). Also taught courses in engineering materials, biological thermodynamics,
heat transfer, polymer science and absorption and liquid extraction.
- Argonne National Laboratory, 1986 (Summer)
Visiting researcher in material science of nuclear fusion reactors, corrosion inhibition and metal coatings.
- Research Assistant, Chemical Engineering, Princeton University, 1976-81
Conducted research on separation and materials science problems of fusion power reactors.
- Research Consultant, Gordion Associates, NYC., NY 1976
- Electronic Design Consultant, Dahill Electronics, Brooklyn, NY. 1975
Selection of Patents
- "Hydrogen Generator"; Patent 6,461,408, October 8, 2002
- "High Temperature Gas Purification Apparatus"; Patent 6,168,650, January 2, 2001.
- "Apparatus and Method for Gas Extraction"; Patent 5,931,987, Aug. 3, 1999.
- "High Temperature Gas Purification System"; Patent 5,888,273, March 30, 1999.
- "Method for Plating Palladium"; Patent 5,149,420, Sept. 22, 1992.
- "Composite Metal Membrane for Hydrogen Extraction", Patent 5,108,724, Nov. 27, 1991.
Selection of Publications
(of 64 articles published)
- R. Buxbaum and H. Lei, "Power output and load following in a fuel cell fueled by membrane reactor hydrogen", J. Power Sources, 5467 (2003) 1-5.
- R.E. Buxbaum, D.L. Smith, and J.-H. Park, ?Hydrogen Solubility in V-4Cr-4Ti Alloy? Journal of Nuclear Materials, 307-311 (2002) 576-579.
- Y.S. Lin and R.E. Buxbaum, Metal Membranes Encyclopedia of Separation Science. Wilson ID, Adlard ER, Cooke M and Poole CF (Eds) Vol 7:3365:3372. London: Academic Press (2000).
- R.E.Buxaum "Membrane Reactor Advantages for Methanol Reforming and Similar Reactions" Separation Science and Technol., 34 (1999) 2113-2123.
- J.W. Hen, F. Feng, MM Geng, R. Buxbaum, and D.O. Northwood, "Electrochemical characteristics of the interface between the metal hydride electrode and electrolyte for an advanced nickel metal hydride battery", J. Power Sources 80 (1999) 39- 45.
- R.E. Buxbaum, J.H. Park and D.L.Smith, "Hydrogen Transport and Embrittlement of Palladium Coated Vanadium Chromium Titanium Alloys," J. Nuclear Materials 233-237 (1996) 510-512.
- R.E. Buxbaum and A.B. Kinney, "Hydrogen Transport through Tubular Membranes of Palladium-Coated Tantalum and Niobium" I&EC Research, 35 (1996) 530-536.
- R.E. Buxbaum and T.L. Marker, "Hydrogen Transport through Nonporous Membranes of Palladium-Coated Niobium, Tantalum and Vanadium," J. Membrane Sci., 85 (1993) 29-38.
- R.E. Buxbaum and P.C. Hsu, "Measurements of Diffusive and Surface Transport Resistances for Deuterium in Palladium-Coated Zirconium Membranes." J. Nuclear Materials, 189 (1992) 183-192.
- C.L. Stokes and R.E. Buxbaum, "Analysis of Palladium Coatings to Remove H-Isotopes from Zirconium Fuel Rods in CANDU-PHW Reactors: Thermal and Neutron Diffusion Effects," Nuclear Technology, 98 (1992) 207-216.
- P. Lamoureux, R.E. Buxbaum, and S.R. Heidemann , "Direct Evidence that Growth Cores Pull," Nature, 340 (1989) 159-162.
- C.C. Brown and R.E. Buxbaum, "Kinetics and Hydrogen Absorption in Alpha Titanium: A Surface Energy Model," Metall. Trans., A19, Volume 14 (1988) 25-27.
- K. Yam, D.K. Anderson and R.E. Buxbaum, "Local Viscosity Effects in Diffusion Processes," Science, 241 (1988) 330-332.
- R.E. Buxbaum, S. Weiss, T. Denerill, and S.R. Heidemann, "Actin and Microtubule Suspensions as Indeterminate Fluids," Science, 235 (1987) 1511-1514.
- C.-Z. Hsu and R.E. Buxbaum, "Palladium-Catalyzed Oxidative Diffusion for Tritium Extraction from Breeder-Blanket Fluids at Low Concentrations," J. Nuc. Mat., 141-143 (1986) 238-243<
- C.-Z. Hsu and R.E. Buxbaum, "Electroless and Immersion Plating of Palladium on Zirconium", J. Electrochem. Soc., 132 (1985) 2419-2420.
Selection of Government Grants
- high Flux Metallic membranes for Hydrogen Recovery and Membrane Reactors, DOE DE-FC26-05NT4200, $2,300,000 2005-2009.
- Improved Coated-Metal Hydrogen Extraction Membrane, DOE SBIR DE-FG02-93ER81625, $600,000 1994-1996.
- Low Cost Technique for Testing Ceramic Insulator Coatings DE-FG02-97-ER82467, $100,000, 1997-1998
Return to top.